Rescue A Reef Sponsored Dive Trip
Key Biscayne residents are invited to participate in a Citizen Scientist Project sponsored dive trip with University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef Program. Dive the Key Biscayne Coral Nursery, learn about the staghorn coral restoration efforts, and participate in our new coral out-planting project.
The trip will be comprised of a half-day dive excursion leaving from Diver’s Paradise of Key Biscayne at 7:30am, beginning with a short demonstration on coral nursery maintenance and out-planting methods.
At the Key Biscayne Coral Nursery, divers will help with cleaning the coral nursery trees and collecting coral clippings for out-planting, followed by a trip to Diver’s Paradise Reef where the coral fragments will be out-planted.
Family BBQ for All*
Following the dive excursion, at 1:00pm there will be a BBQ at Diver’s Paradise where the divers’ families, kids, and Key Biscayne residents can join the Rescue A Reef staff for Q&A and participate in fun coral reef educational activities.
- All dive participants must be at least 18 years old and Open Water SCUBA certified, with preference on confident divers. Due to insurance restrictions, only participants 18 and older will be allowed on the boat. (Family BBQ is open to the general public and all ages with RSVP)
- Must be a resident of Key Biscayne to participate in the dive excursion.
- The sponsored trip is free for up to fifteen (15) Key Biscayne residents and will include: two tanks, mask, fins, and snorkels for the dives, as well as snacks and water.
- BCD, regulator, and wetsuit are not covered and will be the responsibility of each individual to bring or rent. If needed, the BCD and regulator can be rented for an additional fee of about $35 and wetsuits for $10 from Diver’s Paradise.
- Participants must RSVP to be included in the dive. Contact and RSVP information for this event is listed at the bottom of the page.
For more information and to register, please visit http://www.keyscience.org/reef-restoration/ or call 305-365-2770