Through the combined efforts of The Key Biscayne Community Foundation and The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University, the Fourth Annual Robert Kemper Award for Professionalism in Medicine was awarded on Thursday, April 21, 2016.
2016 Award Recipient Mark Haimes
The 2016 winner of the Robert Kemper, M.D., Ph.D., Award for Professionalism in Medicine was Mark Haimes. He exemplifies the work that Dr. Kemper valued so much, and is dedicated to the cause of being a physician and healer in the deepest sense of the word.
Haimes will make a fine physician one day, not only because of his medical skill, but also because of who he is and what he believes in on a deeper level. The compassion and caring that is shown by Haimes will allow him to create a medical practice that will be highly valuable to his patients and the greater community.
Who Was Dr. Robert Kemper?
Dr. Robert Kemper was a local doctor who exemplified the highest qualities of medical professionalism. The work that he did and the care and hope he provided to all of his patients was far beyond what would be required of a physician.
This set him apart from his peers and inspired the Key Biscayne Community Foundation to honor his life and the lives of those who work to follow in his footsteps. Tragically, Dr. Kemper’s life was cut short by cancer, but his legacy lives on through this award.
Qualifications for Nomination
In order to qualify for the award and be nominated, nominees must demonstrate the types of qualities that were so obvious in Dr. Kemper throughout his life and his medical practice. There are a number of qualities that the foundation looks for in nominees, including:
- A high level of respect for peers, patients, staff members and faculty, both during working hours and out in the community at large, as well.
- Compassion and empathy toward patients, along with a sense of altruism that goes beyond the norm that would be expected for a physician.
- A deep sense of duty, commitment and responsibility that shows dedication to the medical profession and its ethical practice on a consistent basis.
- Courtesy, comportment and exemplary personal demeanor that one would expect in a quality physician no matter what the day or event.
- A conveyance of hope and a healer to patients of all types and backgrounds who come to seek treatment, advice and reassurance.
- A team builder who sees the value of harmony in the workplace and is committed to fostering that harmony in any group.
The Work of the Key Biscayne Community Foundation
The Robert Kemper Award is underwritten by the Key Biscayne Foundation. It is made possible by your contributions and those that have been made by Dr. Kemper’s grateful patients. To find out more about the Kemper Award or the foundation as a whole, contact the Key Biscayne Community Foundation today.